Which home improvement contractors can help you with many of your most difficult Roofing projects?
To become a roofer specialist, also referred to as a roofer, you will need to have specialized training. You will have to complete an apprenticeship program, which teaches you the skills you need to be able to make repairs to existing roofs and install roofing products. Once you have completed your apprenticeship program you will be qualified to work on industrial roofing, or work for a commercial roofing company. Some decide to become residential roofers who install roofs on homes. Other jobs residential roofing specialists may do can include inspecting the roof for wind, hail, and water damage. If you work for a commercial roofing company, you will work on installing roofs on businesses.
Some of the essential skills that roofer specialists need include:
- Ability to read plans, such as blue prints
- Be able to use the hand tools like a hammer that are a part of a roofer’s job
- Delivery of roofing materials
- Lifting roofing materials up to the roof area before starting work
- Good communication skills
- Having the ability to work as part of a team
- Should not be afraid of heights
- Must be comfortable working in areas that are high above the ground and at different angles because some roof surfaces are steeply angled
- The ability to concentrate on the job they are doing no matter how steep the roof is or how it is angled
When getting into the apprenticeship program it will take three years to finish. You will need to complete four thousand hours of training in order to get your license to become roofing specialists. During the apprenticeship program, you will have classroom instruction and on-the-job training. During the hands-on learning, you will be supervised by an experienced roofer. When you complete your apprenticeship, you will have to pass a written exam to get your license.
Once you are qualified and have your license you can with a construction firm or roofing contracting company. Some roofing specialists belong to a union and are hired for available projects through the union halls. Once you have some experience you may decide to start your own roofing contract company and hire others to work for you.
One thing to note about roofing work is that it is considered season so over the warmer months you will be working a lot but during the colder months, or when it rains, you will not have much work. A roofer specialist cannot work in windy or wet conditions. If you work for a construction firm and they are not building many new homes you may also find work slowing down. If you are experienced in residential roofing you could get work doing roofing repairs during slow periods of work.