Installing a new roof is a big investment and is very important as it protects your home and the near and dear ones who stay with you. Roof installation is not something that can be done quickly in a short span of time. The basic roofing materials that you choose often depend on the location. Sometimes the pitch of the roof also affects the type of roofing material you can choose. In the case of steeply pitched roofs, you can use wood shake shingles but they are not suitable for flat roofs that are low pitched.
The Different type of Residential Roofing
When it comes to residential roofing there is a wide choice which includes:
- Wood shakes or shingles: These are attractive shingles which are little high on the price. They are durable but not suitable in areas prone to fire.
- Asphalt composition shingles: These are easily available and quite cheap but not very attractive because of their flat appearance. These are most commonly used for roofing
- Slate roofing: This is an expensive roofing option for the high end which is very attractive but it is heavy. It is slippery to walk on and difficult to repair when damaged.
- Metal Roofing: This roofing has become very popular in recent years and is made of aluminum or steel. They are durable and fireproof and need specialty contractors for installation. They have a long life and are cost-effective. There are different types of metal roofing available like raised seam panels, and products that look like composite shingles.
- Ceramic tile or clay: The Spanish red tile roof is commonly used in Southern California. It is slowly being replaced by composite materials and metal that resembles the Spanish tile. Presently there are other roofing materials available which are fire retardant like the ceramic tile but are lightweight. This shingle is known as half-barrel because it looks like a cylinder cut into half lengthwise.
- Composition Slate: These are synthetic tiles made from recycled materials. They look like stone tiles but are lighter and less prone to damage.
Cost of Roof Replacement
The cost of roof replacement depends on the roofing material you choose like the three-tab asphalt shingles, to architectural shingles to slate. The roof replacement cost will also depend on the contractor you choose, the pitch of the roof and the square footage.
A three- tab asphalt shingles roof for a small home may cost as little as $ 7000/-. A typical roof with architectural asphalt shingles will cost anywhere from $3.50 – $5.50 per square foot. The cost is inclusive of everything from permit fees, demolition, disposal of the waste and cleanup.
In the US the roofing season extends from late spring to early fall but sometimes the skilled crew extends the work season.
Do you want to replace your roof? Then contact the local roofer and ask him for an estimate with the type of roofing material that you like.